1 devoid of any qualifications or disguise or adornment; "the blunt truth"; "the crude facts"; "facing the stark reality of the deadline" [syn: blunt, crude(a), stark(a)]
3 complete or extreme; "stark poverty"; "a stark contrast"
4 without qualification; used informally as (often pejorative) intensifiers; "an arrant fool"; "a complete coward"; "a consummate fool"; "a double-dyed villain"; "gross negligence"; "a perfect idiot"; "pure folly"; "what a sodding mess"; "stark staring mad"; "a thoroughgoing villain"; "utter nonsense" [syn: arrant(a), complete(a), consummate(a), double-dyed(a), everlasting(a), gross(a), perfect(a), pure(a), sodding(a), stark(a), staring(a), thoroughgoing(a), utter(a)]
5 providing no shelter or sustenance; "bare rocky hills"; "barren lands"; "the bleak treeless regions of the high Andes"; "the desolate surface of the moon"; "a stark landscape" [syn: bare, barren, bleak, desolate] adv : completely; "stark mad"; "mouth stark open"
- /stɑː(r)k/, /stA:(r)k/,
- Rhymes with: -ɑː(r)k
- hard, firm; obdurate.
- severe; violent; fierce (now usually in describing the weather)
- strong; vigorous; powerful.
- stiff, rigid
- His body was already stiff and stark.
- hard in appearance; barren, desolate
- I picked my way forlornly through the stark, sharp rocks.
- complete, absolute, full
- I screamed in stark terror.
- starkly; entirely,
- He's gone stark, staring mad.
- She was just standing there, stark naked.
- He's gone stark, staring mad.
- (obsolete except in dialects) To stiffen.
- (Publishing) To edit mercilessly with an iron hand
- Laurie needs to stark this asap.
EtymologyOld High German stark
Old High German
EtymologyOld Norse sterkr
- strong; able to use great force
- strong; capable of withstanding great physical force
- strong; highly stimulating to the senses
- starkt ljus = strong light
- spicy, hot; with a biting taste
- strong; having a high concentration of an essential; possibly
- starkt kaffe = strong coffee
- strong; not easily subdued or taken
Stark(e) may refer to:
Places in the USA
- Stark, Kansas, in Neosho County
- Stark, New Hampshire, in Coos County
- Stark, New York, in Herkimer County
- Stark, Wisconsin, in Vernon County
- Stark County, Illinois
- Stark County, North Dakota
- Stark County, Ohio
- Stark Township, Minnesota, in Brown County
- The Stark Museum of Art, in Orange, Texas
- Stark City, Missouri, in Newton County
- Starke prison, in Starke, Florida
- Starke, Florida, in Bradford County
- Starke County, Indiana
Science and technology
- Stark (language), a language in Ender's Game
- The Stark Hyperspace War, a conflict described in Star Wars
- Stark (The Longest Journey), one of the twin worlds in The Longest Journey
- Stark (novel), by Ben Elton
- Stark (TV miniseries), based on the Ben Elton novel
- Eric John Stark, a character by Leigh Brackett
- House Stark, a fictional noble family in A Song of Ice and Fire
- Stark (Farscape), a character in Farscape
- Tony Stark, the secret identity of Iron Man, a Marvel comic book superhero
- Stark (Bleach), a character in Bleach media
- Willie Stark, a character in All the King's Men
- George Stark, a character in The Dark Half
- Deputy District Attorney Sebastian Stark, the main character in Shark
stark in German: Stark
stark in French: Stark
stark in Italian: Stark
stark in Volapük: Stark
Spartan, absolute, absolutely, altogether, arrant, ascetic, austere, bald, bare, barren, basic, blasted, bleak, blessed, blunt, candid, chaste, classical, clean, clear, clearly, cold, common, commonplace, complete, completely, confounded, consummate, crass, decided, definitive, depressing, desolate, direct, downright, drear, dreary, dry, dull, egregious, elementary, empty, entirely, essential, evident, flagrant, frank, fully, fundamental, glaring, grey, grim, gross, hard, harsh, homely, homespun, homogeneous, indivisible, infernal, inornate, intolerable, irreducible, irretrievably, irrevocably, lean, matter-of-fact, mere, monolithic, naked, natural, neat, nude, obvious, obviously, of a piece, open, out-and-out, outright, patent, perfect, perfectly, plain, plain-speaking, plain-spoken, plainly, plumb, positive, primary, profound, pronounced, proper, prosaic, prosing, prosy, pure, pure and simple, quite, rank, ravaged, raw, regular, right, rustic, severe, shattering, sheer, shocking, simon-pure, simple, simple-speaking, single, sober, spare, spooky, stark-naked, stark-staring, straightforward, stripped, superlative, surpassing, the veriest, thorough, thoroughgoing, total, totally, unadorned, unaffected, unbearable, unclad, unclothed, uncluttered, unconditional, unconscionable, undeniable, undifferenced, undifferentiated, unelaborate, unembellished, unenhanced, unequivocal, unfancy, unfussy, uniform, unimaginative, unmitigated, unornate, unpoetical, unqualified, unrelieved, unrelievedly, unspoiled, unvarnished, utter, utterly, vacant, vacuous, void, wholly